Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Gadget Corner - Calphalon


Gadget Corner: Calphalon Cutlery – Santoku Knives

One of my favorite toys is cutlery! To me it’s the main attraction for the kitchen. Whether you are making a cold salad or a main dish to just about anything you will always reach for your favorite tool…The knife!
Ever since I got married over eight years ago my wife thinks I have a fetish for kitchen tools, especially knives. No, I’m not a sadist, I’m a Chef who loves to cook! I’m sure there are many of you out there that feel the same way but may not know what a good tool is for the average home.
There are many kitchen knives out there from the cheapo five dollar chef knife to one that runs a good $200 bucks. I have recently purchased your decent middle of the road knife, a Calphalon Santoku knife, actually a pair and I have to say I feel good about my purchase.
My pair came with a 5” and a 9” Santoku. The blades maintain well and keep a sharp edge with the use of a good steel. For the average household these knives make a nice addition to the kitchen. The pair runs anywhere from $35 to $50 depending upon where you buy them from. Here are some specs from Calphalon.com you might enjoy.

Calphalon Santoku Knives
Combining features of a chef's knife and a cleaver, the Santoku is an all purpose Asian-style knife that's ideal for cutting meat, fish and vegetables. The word santoku means "three good things" - a reference to the three cutting tasks it performs so well: slicing, dicing and mincing. The Santoku is designed with kullens, or indentations along its edges, which reduce friction and prevent food from sticking to the blade. The knife also serves as a spatula as you cut, removing cut foods quickly and easily from the cutting surface.
Features
Full tang design provides better balance and superior strength.
One piece forging of blade, bolster and tang for long-lasting durability. No parts to separate.
Ergonomic grip handle uniquely contoured for one size fits all comfort
High carbon, no-stain German steel from tip to tang. Sharpens more easily than ordinary stainless and maintains its edge longer. Resists rust, stains, discoloration.
Each knife type individually balanced for efficiency and comfort.
Fully tapered from cutting edge to spine and from tip to heel for superior strength and greater cutting versatility.
Hand-ground to a perfect, equal edge and fine satin finish.

No comments: